Friday, August 17, 2018

Open water swimming events

Lac Montriond (summer 2016) – Visiting the French Alps in the summer was a dream come true. I cannot recommend it enough. The scenery was breath taking – huge lakes filled with clear blue water surrounded by majestic mountain tops, it wasn’t too hard to hike above the cloud line. This lake attracts lots of people in the summer and many people sun bathe around it. There is a smaller lake which you can stand in allowing children to play. The larger lake has lots of water sports to offer but the lake is so large, once you are away from the perimeter, it seems rather quiet. There are no rules regarding how you swim the lake or safety regulations but the water is extremely deep and when you reach the centre you are a long way away from the side so you must be a confident swimmer. It is 19m deep and 33 hectares large.








Lake Windermere (summer 2016) – This is the longest lake in the UK and I have always wanted to swim it. Last summer I had the opportunity to swim in it when on holiday with my friends. There are safety rules in this lake and I required a coloured inflatable attached to me in order to make boats aware of me. I also had to swim by the side of a boat. The lake is very mucky and there are lots of shallow parts meaning you need to keep checking which direction you are heading. I swam the width and back of the lake which was in total around 3 km. I would love to go further but would recommend doing it with the organised event if you can! I would also highly recommend wearing a swimming suit as this lake is COLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment