Friday, August 17, 2018

Events on Foot




Events on foot


Walks
In the summer of 2016 I completed the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge. Climbing the 3 tallest peaks in Yorkshire in under 12 hours. This event was thoroughly enjoyable. Each peak was totally different to climb and presented its own unique challenges. The weather would be bright and sunny at the bottom and could be snowing by the time you reached the top of them! Neither my partner nor I had ever completed this full route before so we did get lost a few times and I would recommend taking multiple maps in order to prevent this from happening! This is a challenge that every hiker must do!! My favourite of all the hikes I have completed so far!
We decided to run between peaks in order to get the best time possible completing it in just over 7 hours. It's 40km (25 miles) and consists of Pen-y-Ghent (694 metres), Whernside (736 metres) and Ingleborough (723 metres).




Snowdon (February 2018)- what a beauty!
We took the Watkins route on a very cold February morning. Snow had set and glistened in the day light, thicker towards the top but more scattered at the base.
The path was very clearly defined with lots of large rock faces along the edge - great for extra climbing or eating your lunch on. The first half is quite steady and the footing is simple but the second half became much more physically demanding.
We scrambled along with the peak in sight, not actually knowing if we were heading in the correct direction due to the path and scenery being totally covered with thick untouched snow. My legs burnt climbing up here but I could not wait to reach the top! A beautiful lake could be seen down the mountain face to the right and we ate our lunch sat on large rocks looking out onto the water.

After the Driffield Triathalon
Clear sky allowed us to see for miles - views I will never forget! At the top we posed for pictures and waited for our group to come together again.
We then headed down cross country taking the least steep route possible but visiting any lakes or points of interest we fancied.
Snowdon was amazing and I would love to return in order to climb Crib Goch!


I did Kinder Scout in February 2018 on a snowy Thursday morning.


This image is in the Golden Fleece.
The route was straight forward and there were no opportunities to get lost. The snow added to the beauty of the route although it's probably best to complete it in the summer too so you can see the comparison!




Kinder Scout

Kinder Scout

Kinder Scout


Runs



The Golden Fleece was a cross country ultra marathon which I did in May 2018. It was beautiful!!! There is a shorter course of 16 miles which many people walk.

This was the furthest I have ever ran. The pain is strange... your lungs are fine but your bones ache. I changed my running technique multiple times throughout the race in order to be as comfortable as possible. There were lots of food stations throughout and you got a delicious meal at the end. Parking is organised and close to the starting point.

The route takes you through many fields and we did often think we were going to get lost.


This event was amazing and because the scenery was altering so much and the terrain changing, it prevented boredom- I never believed I would be able to do it and I did!!!

The Humber half marathon was my first ever half marathon in 2015. I find running really quite boring meaning that the specific running training that you should do before such an event did not quite happen.
The route was beautiful, running both ways over the bridge. There was lots of spectators and supporters scattered around the route. Some people presented us with sweets, others sprayed you with a hose pipe (this was most needed in the weather conditions that we were experiencing).
I would recommend this half marathon for people who have already done half marathons - the course is rather hilly meaning you are not very likely to get a PB. It is however all on road. There was lots of people running and plenty of space for spectators to cheer you on at the end. Many competitors walked to the start because the car park was so busy.

The Nottingham half marathon starts in the city center. The parking is simple and I have never had problems with it – I have done this run 3 times now and hope to do it every year that I am at university (5 years).
The course is very well organised with lots of stalls at the start. You are given different starting points depending on your estimated time of finish. At the end, everyone is given a goody bag
There are plenty of parks for spectators to wait for you in.
This run gives you a tour of the whole city.




Other


(Easter 2017) Driffield sprint triathlon involved a 400m pool swim followed by 20km bike ride then a 5km run.
It was a good triathlon to do for the first time. The cycle route was quite hilly but the run was flat. It was well set out and the rush and excitement when changing activity gave me extra energy and thrill! The run was a circular route and you complete it multiple times. I was always going to struggle with the running the most because it's the thing I least enjoy training!
I would definitely do another triathlon but would try a longer one next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment